Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lost

As my career in academia comes close to an end, I am beginning to question my inner strength. I have held myself together through many things in the past couple of years...a major relocation, death of my son, loss of a job, and returning to college after a 27 year hiatus. I have not, through any of that, felt as overwhelmed as I do in this, my final quarter of school.
I am, for the first time since returning, being very challenged in school. I am in higher level computer application classes along with a higher level (and quite boring) accounting class. These things, combined with two part-time jobs, are starting to wear on my confidence a bit. I feel like my brain is fried most days after classes. I come home and intend to study, but just can't bring myself to do it. I have set the bar very high for myself throughout school. My CGPA is 4.0 and I am very hard on myself if I feel that is in jeopardy. This quarter it is VERY in jeopardy! I just don't feel like any of it is soaking in. The day after we cover something in class I have lost it. I have no idea how to write a formula for Excel, I have no idea how to compute the proper payroll tax for anyone, I have no idea what accounts are affected by a transaction that is taking place....LOST! This is the first time I can say "I feel like I am being left behind."
Am I the only one feeling this way? No. Others are expressing the same "lost" feeling.
I know I will make it through the quarter. I know I will pass and get my certificate. Will I have a 4.0 when I am done? Who knows. Does it really matter in the scheme of things? Only to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment